Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Studying Abroad!?

          To be completely honest, I never really considered studying abroad because it seemed I don't know a bit out of my element and I just did not find it too interesting at first. But after hearing a couple of my older friends who have studied abroad talk about how much fun they had and how amazing all their experiences they got to have while studying abroad, I wanted to learn more about it. They urged me and gave me the idea to study abroad because they kept telling me to study abroad, to just do it. Well after hearing them talk about studying abroad, I then heard mostly all of my professors suggesting to study abroad and I started to wonder why?
          Through this process I have learned a lot about the study abroad program at Texas Lutheran University and I am glad I did. I talked to one of my fellow teammates from the soccer team, Amy Walls, and she definitely opened the idea of studying abroad to me along with some of my professors as well. Some of my professors talked to us about studying abroad and recommended it because we were young and we will never get an opportunity to travel the world for a low price due to the fact that our financial aid transfers and stuff. Amy told me that, "Being able to leave everything I knew behind and everything that was normal was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I met amazing people, got to see incredible things and had the opportunity to participate in two different internships that pertained to my International Business major. I got to work with international students in an admissions office and a marketing firm as well. I learned Dutch, got to go to Belgium and Barcelona for spring break, and took really interesting classes with people from all over the world. Overall I grew as a person and things I could have never learned by staying where I was" (Amy C. Walls Studying Abroad Interview). She basically explained how incredibly life changing this experience has been for her and hearing her say this has completely changed my views about studying abroad.
          I am now considering studying abroad because of a couple people. I just have to look into what study abroad program I want to do and where I want to go and when, I am still researching that. But overall I am looking forward to studying abroad and how it will change my life like how everyone is saying it changed theirs. I can not wait to go study abroad but I am not going to lie there is a part of me that is scared but what the heck you only live once so I am definitely going to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment